The items listed below represent potential emerging issues that our analysts are tracking. These can be long term or short term, but will be updated daily. If an item on our Watch List becomes critical, we will email you a full analysis explaining its significance.
Each Saturday, we will follow up our daily Watch List for each week with our conclusions on these issues.
- Turkey: The Turkish offensive underway in northwest Syria must be monitored closely. What has the military achieved so far? Pay attention to the unusual.
- U.S., China: The USS Hopper, a guided-missile destroyer, is in the South China Sea. Already there are reports that it has sailed near Scarborough Shoal, which is claimed by China, the Philippines and Taiwan. The government in Beijing has vowed to safeguard its territorial claim. Is this routine, or is this the beginning of a change in policy?
- Iraq: Turkey’s foreign minister traveled to Iraq to discuss the military offensive in Syria, regional security and reconstruction efforts in Iraq. What is Iraq’s position on these issues? Do its positions align with Iran’s?
- Hong Kong: A few events in Hong Kong are worth noting. A British official recently touted the importance of Hong Kong as London looks for new trade agreements post-Brexit. Meanwhile, Chinese officials said Hong Kong should be more tightly bound to China as part of the One China, Two Systems policy. How is Hong Kong responding to both statements? Is there a crisis brewing?
- U.S., China: The government in Beijing has predictably criticized the United States’ newest National Security Strategy, which names China as Washington’s biggest threat. We need an in-depth study of what is laid out in the U.S. strategy. How does it differ from previous strategies? To which points does China specifically object?
- Romania: Romania is forming a new government amid public protests against corruption and the political establishment. Romania occupies an important place in our model for Eastern Europe. Do recent events indicate a shift in Romania’s behavior?