Western Sahara: A Forgotten Conflict

Morocco’s claims to the disputed region seem to be getting stronger.

1020
The standoff over Western Sahara is Africa’s longest ongoing conflict. Covering 266,000 square kilometers and with a population of some 600,000 people, the disputed territory is claimed by both Morocco and the rebel Polisario Front. Morocco controls 80 percent of the territory, while the Polisario Front administers the remaining 20 percent – pockets of land […]

We are a global leader in geopolitical forecasting. We deliver cutting edge analysis and intelligence so you can stay ahead of the news.

Subscribe to Geopolitical Futures today and get:

  • Unbiased analysis of global events
  • Daily geopolitical briefing
  • Annual and long-term forecasts to help you prepare for your future
Subscribe Now
Hilal Khashan
Hilal Khashan is a Professor of political science at the American University of Beirut. He is a respected author and analyst of Middle Eastern affairs. He is the author of six books, including Hizbullah: A Mission to Nowhere. (Lanham, MD: Lexington Books, 2019.) He is currently writing a book titled Saudi Arabia: The Dilemma of Political Reform and the Illusion of Economic Development. He is also the author of more than 110 articles that appeared in journals such as Orbis, The Journal of Conflict Resolution, The Brown Journal of World Affairs, Middle East Quarterly, Third World Quarterly, Israel Affairs, Journal of Religion and Society, Nationalism and Ethnic Politics, and The British Journal of Middle Eastern Studies.